Woodstock Village Trustees McIlroy and Horneck will not seek re-election, two others have declared candidacy

The Woodstock Village Meeting, slated for March 17, is rapidly approaching, and two seats on the Board of Trustees are up for election. This week, the current chair of the trustees, Seton McIlroy, confirmed to the Standard that she will not be running for re-election, nor will fellow board member Frank Horneck. 

Meanwhile, two Woodstock Village residents have submitted nominating petitions to be put on the ballot for the two open seats — Stephen Stuntz for a three-year term and Jamie Fox for a two-year term. 

The annual village balloting is from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. with the Village Meeting at 7:30 p.m. at the town hall on March 17. 

McIlroy, on her decision not to seek reelection, told the Standard in a text message, “I’ve decided not to run but am proud of what our board has accomplished over the past six years. I look forward to continuing to contribute to this community I love through Pride of Woodstock and parenting two kids in our public schools.” 

Although she made no mention of it, a $5 million lawsuit has been filed against the village, her, municipal manager Eric Duffy, and others locally in Vermont Superior Court by Woodstock Police Chief Joe Swanson over efforts to demote him last year. 

Horneck did not respond to requests for comment by deadline. He was initially named as a defendant in the lawsuit, but a state judge ruled he was immune. 

Kitty Mears Koar, Woodstock Village admin assistant and administrative coordinator to the boards and commissions, confirmed to the Standard that both Stuntz and Fox submitted their petitions for candidacy before the Feb. 9 deadline, complete with 19 signatures each from fellow village residents, indicating support for each candidate. Stuntz and Fox only needed nine signatures to qualify, Koar said.

For more on this, please see our Feb. 19 edition of the Vermont Standard.